County Citizens Academy spring session full
The 2013 spring session of the Citrus County Citizens Academy is scheduled to begin March 14 and is currently filled to capacity; however, interested citizens are encouraged to submit an application to have their name placed on a wait list in case of a cancellation or as a place holder for the 2013 fall session.
Contact Deb Bloss at 352-527-5904 for more information.
The Citizen's Academy is a free course designed to educate citizens about the departments that implement the policy of the commission and to give residents a hands-on, inside look at what, how and why the county's departments do what they do.
If you would like an up-close
and personal look at Citrus County government...
then this is the class for you!
AND IT'S FREE!
Citizen Academy Fall graduates - 2012
View the Citizen's Academy Photo Gallery
Department of Community Services
2804 W. Marc Knighton Ct., Key #5
Lecanto, Fl. 34461
- With so much misinformation and lack of information in the public about how the county commission and its departments work, the goal is to create informed citizens who understand the board's responsibilities and capabilities and how the taxpayer's resources are utilized in the various departments.
- There are various field trips via county buses during the sessions. Departments and divisions covered include, for example, Planning & Development, Building, Management and Budget, Systems Management, Public Works, Community Services, Parks and Recreation, and Code
Compliance, as well as numerous others.
- There are no qualifications needed other than being a resident of the county and interested in how it works, and the only requirement of the class is attendance.
- Registration is on a first come, first served basis. If more than the allotted slots are requested, the names will be put on a waiting list in the order they were received for the next session.
- The course does not cover the other elected constitutional offices, such as the County Court Clerk, the Property Appraiser, Supervisor of Eections, Tax Collector, and Sheriff, except for cooperative programs with the commission and how their budgets are part of the overall county budget.